Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Hobbs' Pannell commits to Cochise

  One of Hobbs’ top-10 all-time scorers has decided where he’ll go to school and play basketball next season as Dane Pannell committed Wednesday to attend Cochise College next season.
Brad Cox/News-Sun
Hobbs' Dane Pannell committed to
Cochise College on Wednesday.
  Cochise College is located in Douglas, Ariz., and Pannell said the location played a big part in his decision.
  “A lot of my family lives in Arizona and it’s where I’m originally from,” Pannell said. “It’s a good winning program and has a good background. I’m hoping to improve my game and go to a good school from there. ...
  “It’s a big load off my chest. I’m relieved and anxious to go there.”
  Pannell averaged 21.1 points, 7.3 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 3.2 steals while helping the Eagles go 22-9 and advance to the Class 5A state semifinals this past season.
  The 6-foot-3 senior spent three years with the varsity, starting nearly the entirety of his prep career.
  Pannell finished his Hobbs career ninth on the all-time scoring list with 1,316 points.
  His 21.1 points per game this past season is the 25th highest in Hobbs history while his career scoring average of 16.2 is 21st on the Hobbs all-time list.
  Cochise plays in the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference, finished 25-6 this past season (receiving votes in the final NJCAA national poll) and took fourth in the ACCAC with an 18-4 mark.
  Cochise was eliminated by Central Arizona 81-59 in the Division I ACCAC Tournament.
  Pannell will be the second New Mexico player on the team as Oñate graduate Tim Jacobs played at Cochise this past season after transferring from UTEP where he redshirted his first season.
  “Tim Jacobs talked to me on my visit and introduced me to a lot of people,” Pannell said. “Zach Lee (from Eldorado) may commit with me there too.”
  Pannell said the junior college experience should help him improve and prepare for a good four-year school.
  “I just want to get comfortable playing better competition,” Pannell said. “I want to experience the game at that level and develop more.”